ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Kumbara Night Frogs | Amplexus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Kumbara Night Frogs | Amplexus

Kumbara Night Frogs Nyctibatrachus kumbara in amplexus (the mating process). Photographed in Kathalekan (near Jog), Karnataka

This is a species that was described just a few months ago (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/sho...-Western-Ghats). When I had posted the article, little did I know I would get to see and photograph this frog myself in a matter of weeks. Even more interesting is the fact that this image is curiously similar to the original one in the article (no, I haven't stolen it )!
    This is one of the larger night frogs, and is currently known from areas around Jog and Chikmagalur. It is ground dwelling, found close to streams, where it uses mud to plaster its egg clutches. It is often found in areas occupied by the somewhat similar looking Jog Night Frog, but the latter is a primarily leaf-dwelling species with a very different call.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
    SS 1/200
    Av 16
    ISO 400
    Full frame image

Link to audio: http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/sho...2375#post72375

Thanks, C&C welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Abhishek Jamalabad; 18-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

nice. thanks for the information on this species. it makes one really happy to know that we are part of such a fantastic cradle of biodiversity.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky you could sight and photograph this species . Good details. I liked the wet feeling which gives an idea of their habitat. Is this a pair? Were they mating? Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mrudul- Yes, this is a mating pair. They are apparently not as rare as one may think; in Kathalekan they were pretty abundant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The male and the female look different (sexual dimorphism). I would love to see them plastering mud on the eggs as well. Good to hear that you did find many of them. Any estimate about the range of the species?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sbyasachi- The exact range is not known with certainty yet. The species was described from Kathalekan near Jog (also where I photographed this); some researchers I know say they have seen & heard it in Chikmagalur. It is quite possible in my opinion that the range may be misunderstood because of misidentification... it could be that other night frogs recorded prior to the description of this species could in fact have been this one.

Thread Information