ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Banke The Legend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Banke The Legend

Here is “Banke”, one of the oldest rhinos in Dudhwa National Park. In the local language ‘Banke’ means ‘handsome and stud like'. Banke was about 4 years in 1984 and Hemrani was about 11 when brought to Dudhwa. Hemrani had given birth to five calves, fathered by Banke. At present, it's the fourth generation of Banke and Hemrani living in Dudhwa. In 1984. two males, Banke and Raju and three females Asha, Suheli and Savitri were brought to Dudhwa after being captured from forests surrounding Kaziranga, Assam. In a bid to claim supremacy, Banke killed Raju. Two females died within a year. In 1985, four females Hemrani, Pavitri, Swayamvara and Narayani were introduced in the group. Though Banke mated with all of them, he had the longest companionship with Hemrani, she died in 2014. The last of the three rhinos belonging to that period in time—Banke, Narayani and Swayamvara—remain in Dudhwa. Banke is the oldest of all. Now Bhimsen son of Banke has taken over.

This shot was taken day before yesterday on 18th May 2015. Nikon D 700, Nikor 24-120 F4, shot @ 120 mm F8, ISO 400, exposure 1/250s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Spectacular horn. The Great Indian Rhinoceros is seen in its habitat where it was once common. Nice habitat picture captured. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Debasis Bhai,
    As far as I recollect the exciting innovation of reintroduction of Rhino as a gift to conservation was made possible by Smt. Indira Gandhi. 2 males and 5 females from Royal Chitwan N.P, Nepal (I am sure) and Assam (I am sure) (whether Pabitora and Kaziranga, both I have to check). Her scientific mind took enough care so as to minimise chances of inbreeding.
    I also recollect one Rhino was immediately killed by a Tiger.
    Kind regards,
    SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 21-05-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see this huge male from Dudhwa. Good to know that the relocation of 'Banke' was successful in terms of reign. A lower angle if possible would have been nice. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

P.S. (Contd): April, 1984 : Source Population : Pabitora , Assam : 2 Male, 3 Female (of which 1 female died of stressful abortion and 1 more female from adverse effect of subsequent tranquilization) in 1984 itself.
    April,1985 : Source Population : Royal Chitwan, Nepal : 4 young Female (in exchange of 16 Elephants)
    Final Source Population of Rhinos : 2 Male, 5 Female.
    Smt. Indira Gandhi took keen interest and finalised the exchange programme with the Govt. of Nepal during 1984 but with her untimely demise on 31.10.1984, she could not see the fruition of her wish with the arrival of the Chitwan Rhinos.
    SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Mrudul Madame, For lower angle shot I needed to climb down the 65 year old elephant Pushpa!!!!! Regards Debasis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Saktida,

Your data is absolutely correct, Banke, Raju, Asha, Suheli and Savitri are from Assam (but as per forest officials out there they told me they were caught from forest surrounding Kaziranga). And in 1985 four females Hemrani, Pavitri, Swayamvara and Narayani were introduced from Chitwan in Nepal. Yes Mrs. Indira Gandhi took a keen interest in Project Tiger, Rehabilitation of Rhino, in fact without her interference then, it would have been difficult for some of the species to survive this long. Thank you Saktida for the contributing lovely thoughts backed with data and making the forum interesting. Best Regards Debasis Bose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think first rhinos from Kaziranga were introduced and since some of them died, there was discussion for introducing the next batch. If I remember right, some people raised objections in Assam saying that rhinos will not survive in dudhwa etc, so rhinos from Royal Chitwan National park were shifted to dudhwa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The colorful biography of Banke makes for interesting reading.Also the conservation efforts to preserve the Indian one horned Rhino is heartening. The old warrior looks battle worn Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information