ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Bhimsen - The Dominant Male

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bhimsen - The Dominant Male

Dudhwa National Park, became the first park in India to see the relocation of several Greater One-Horned Rhinoceros in between 1984-85. Nine rhinos were brought in from Assam and Nepal and released in an electrified fence over two years. While the forest department managed and monitored the population over the years, and the population saw a rise in number to 35 as I write. Bhimsen son of legend Banke today rules the 28 square kilometer fenced grassland situated inside the Dudhwa national park.

The Rhino enclosure can only be entered on elephant back, and has three lakes or tals within the enclosure, as given to understand by mahut and guide along with the rhinos there are seven tigers (mother with 3 cubs + 3 more adult), several spotted deer, swamp deer, barking deer, hog deer, sambar deer, wild boars and several species of birds. I did spot few chitals and several water birds along with rhinos.

Nikon D 700, Nikor 24-120 F4, Shot @ 92mm F10, ISO 400, exposure 1/400s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. You can crop the shadow visible on the right. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Great to see the new boss of dudhwa. I agree that without the shadow on the right the image would have been better. Moving the elephant to a distance and then clicking the rhino using a longer lens would have given a better angle. The image looks slightly more yellow and saturated.

It is unfortunate that even after two decades the rhino's are still within the fence. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to see this huge male.composing on elephant back is a tough job.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. Massive-build.
    Bhimsen Bhai,
    You have long way to go, your grandfather has enviable record of killing one dominant male to become supreme leader.
    Debasis Bhai,
    I have read that the area of Rhino enclosure (sanctuary) is going to be increased to about 71 sq.km. This increase, with presence of tiger and deer will be a step in the right direction.
    Dudhwa has unique eco-system for survival of Swamp Deer, Spotted Deer and Hog Deer.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Thread Information