User Tag List

Thread: wanting ID..

at Yingkiong, Upper Siang District, Arunachal Pradesh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wanting ID..

shot this bird while on tour to a remote village in Upper Siang District, Arunachal Pradesh. 7D+ 100-400mm, f/11, 1/180, iso 400, EC 0, AV mode, FL 365, cropped image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice colourful image.It looks like Male Scarlet Minivet (Pericrocotus flammeus).Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi kaling,

In Iding birds its imp to first get the broader classification correct. The plates in your bird guide will be on these lines. Also you will have descriptions of these broader groups or families in the beginning with traits which are unique to them. These will be mostly in terms of their shape, size, Bill and Wing size/shape….. in general terms the Silhouette of the bird. Once this is done you can try narrowing it down to the exact species based on other aspects like plumage, habitat, distribution, calls etc.

In this case with a little practice and time on the field you will know that this is a Thrush from its general shape. Since you have included some much of its habitat and have seen it you will not have much difficulty classifying this as a Rock thrush. Its bright colors will allow you to assume it is a Male. Your assumptions may go wrong sometimes, but the general direction will not. From here on you can look into the field guide for confirmation. To me this looks like a Adult Male Chestnut bellied Rock Thrush Monticola rufiventris

TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information