User Tag List

Thread: SUNDARBANS: May 2015: Drinking Habits of Rhesus Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Default SUNDARBANS: May 2015: Drinking Habits of Rhesus Monkey

Canon 550D, Canon 70-300mm
    While drinking, the Rhesus Monkey would also crouch low, with the body close to the ground, and bend over to reach the surface of water with their lips. But they do not have distrust about large rivers here as the Common Langurs have, living on the other side, in villages in West Bengal.
    Many of us have seen Common Langurs drinking in a hollow in a rock and pool of clear water on uneven metalled road in the forests after rains crouching in a near similar fashion.
    One interesting habit I learnt recentlly that M. Krishnan had observed Bonnet Monkeys scooping up with their palms and drinking water accumulated in a hollow or Vs of branches of trees.
    I have seen Rhesus Monkey washing fruits and crabs in river water before eating, but not yet observed it using palms for drinking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 30-11-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice behaviour photographed. There is a very young one drinking water near the right side of the frame . Outside Sajnekhali guest house, I too had seen a Rhesus monkey holding a chicken feet and dipping it in water several times and then eating it. It was quite interesting to see that. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to see this sir. On reading the observation of bonnets drinking (using the palm cup) i feel i have seen this many times , just can't remember where...many be ingrained memory from an other life..

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roopak Gangadharan View Post
    Nice to see this sir. On reading the observation of bonnets drinking (using the palm cup) i feel i have seen this many times , just can't remember where...many be ingrained memory from an other life..

TFS
    Roopak
    This made my day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have filmed the incident mentioned by Mrudul. The rhesus monkey was frequently washing the chicken leg and biting a chunk from it. Another fellow wanted to snatch it but it kept on moving ahead and this resulted in the chicken leg getting mud. So every now and then it was washing the chicken leg before eating. We should learn Swachh Bharat from that Rhesus monkey.

Thread Information