‎(Chandrakant Patil) Field Director Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve Umaria (MP) writes letter to NTCA Head Regarding jhurjhura cubs
Office of the Field Director, Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve Umaria (MP)

No./Mgmt./879 Umaria, dated 12th August 2010

To,
Dr. Rajesh Gopal,
Member Secretary,
National Tiger Conservation Authority,
Ministry of Environment and Forests,
Govt. of India,
Bikaner House, Annexe No. 5
Shahjahan Road,
New Delhi 110 011

Sub: Information regarding Jhurjhura cubs.

Ref: Discussion in your office on 10th August, 2010 and instructions given on 12th August, 2010 on telephone.

Respected Sir,
Jhurjhura tigress was killed in an accident on 19-05-2010. During your visit to Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve on 31st May and 1st of June 2010, it was decided that the three orphaned cubs of Jhurjhura tigress should be kept in an enclosure at this spot itself because the cubs are familiar with the area.

This area is a hilly area and because of that the work of chainlink fence was quite difficult. This area is also a favorite spot of tigers because of the presence of large number of caves in the area.
Chainlink fencing of 3 kms. length was prepared to enclose about 45.208 ha. area. A machan was constructed near Jhurjhura talab and the cubs were given feed near this place. After the start of rainy season, the cubs were not visiting this place regularly since 27th July 2010. They were seen near a cave on the morning of 28th July 2010 by Mahaout Ramzan and Jannu alongwith beat guard Gohadi.

I was on leave from 30th July 2010 to 3rd August 2010 for my son's admission in Hyderabad. After that, I had attended a meeting on 4th and 5th August 2010 regarding Tiger Show in Madhya Pradesh in which Shri Dharmendra Shukla, APCCF (Wildlife), Field Director, Pench Tiger Reserve, Shri K. Naik and Field Director, Kanha Tiger Reserve Shri H.S. Negi were also present at Kisli. I returned to Umaria at 9:30 PM on 5th August 2010.

Since I was away from my head quarter for about an week, I was in my office on 6th August, 2010. In the night at about 8:30 PM, Range Officer Tala informed me that he has seen some bones within the enclosed area and he has a doubt that these are the bones of a tiger cub. Since it was already night, I instructed him to reach at the spot early in the next morning. I also reached the spot and gathered the information from the staff present there. Then I reached the place where the bones were seen by the Range Officer, Tala. At the spot, Asstt. Director, Tala Shri D.P. Shukla, Range Officer, Tala Shri R.K. Tripathi, Range Asstt. Tala Shri G.P. Namdeo and other staff and casual workers were present. It had rained in the evening and the soil was wet. Some of the bones along with a skull were scattered on the ground and some were covered with the mud. The staff searched the place for about 4 hours and collected all the pieces of bones. 18 nails of tiger cub were also found. Range Officer, Tala informed me about the movement of a male tiger and a female tiger from the earlier litter of Jhurjhura tigress near the fence. It was clear that one of the cub has died and probably it was killed by one of them. It was not clear whether the dead cub was a male or one of the two female cubs.

I had informed you in the night on the same day on telephone. After that, I visited the place in the night and a goat was tied there. Staff was watching the place and they heard some movement but could not see the cubs. In the morning it was observed that they had eaten the legs and other pieces of a goat previously given to them which was near by but they did not touch the new goat.

Next day, i.e. on 8th August 2010, the two cubs came to the spot again in the night at around 9:00 PM and they had eaten the goat which was tied in the earlier night. They were there at the spot till early morning. I visited the spot in the morning of 9th August 2010 at around 8:00 AM and I had seen the pugmarks of cubs in the nala nearby. After that I came to Umaria and went to Jabalpur and from there to Delhi to attend the workshop on 10th August 2010 organized by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau. I visited your office on the same day and informed you regarding the developments.

After finishing my work in Delhi, I went to Bhopal on 11th August 2010 and apprised Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife), Madhya Pradesh regarding this issue. After that, I have come back to Umaria today and going to visit the place tonight.

I will inform you regarding further developments from time to time.

Thanking you,
Yours Sincerely,

(Chandrakant Patil)
Field Director
Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve
Umaria (MP)