Quote Originally Posted by Manasi Chaphalkar View Post
Hi ,

Thanx Sabyasachi, Mrudul and Krishnadas Mallya for the suggestions. I am planning to buy Canon EOS 550D (18-55mm). But there are some points which i need to clarify. My budget is around 50-55k.
1.For Mammals and Bird Photography will this lens be good??or should i select other lens like 70-300mm or 75-300mm?
2. For zooming lens what would be d option??
3.a separate macro lens plus any of 18-55mm or 70-300mm, how much will tat cost?
4. If i decide to buy secondhand body and invest all in lens where can i find best deal for such secondhand body?
5. For macro lens which is best and reasonable to begin with?

My requirement is to get a decent SLR for wildlife and a macro lens. Will tat fit in 55k budget?

I am still confused what i should go for..

Regards
Manasi
From what I got when I was buying from the local merchant

Canon 550D Body - 30K
Canon 550D + 18-55 Kit lens - 34K
Canon 550D + 18-135 Kit Lens - 50K

If you are building up for a full time photography in the future(near or distant), do not invest on any of the zoom lens that you have mentioned above. The best one among the zoom still is the 100-400L lens which comes around 1Lakh and there are rumors on an upgrade on the lens early next year.

For macro I recommend 100mm 2.8(Non-IS can save you money). Though a little tough but still you can get decent macros with 18-55.

So I would request you to buy only 550D + 18-55 Kit now and play around with your new toy for few months atlest. Once you feel its time to take it to next level aim for 100mm 2.8L if you think you really need that(80K) or settle for non IS version(30k) later.

For the zoom do not aim for anything less than L series from which 70-200 2.8L and 100-400L are the most loved ones.

Regards & Happy clicking
Krishnadas N Mallya