ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Assam teenagers slaughter 250 cranes, sell to eateries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Assam teenagers slaughter 250 cranes, sell to eateries

Sharing a shocking incident in which 250 cranes were killed by teenagers.

Assam teenagers slaughter 250 cranes, sell to eateries

Jorhat, Jun 25 (PTI) In a shocking incident, seven teenaged students killed 250 endangered white cranes and sold them to roadside eateries as part of a deal to earn a quick buck in Assam's Jorhat district, officials said today.

The boys, studying in Class VII and VIII, had killed the cranes nesting on trees at Nikhantol area in Baligaon Nabotia village along the Brahmaputra river in Jorhat yesterday, DFO Rajib Kumar Das said today.

The locals, after getting to know about the boys making a deal with the 'dhaba' owners to sell each crane for Rs 25 to Rs 30, informed the forest department and police, Das said.
    The boys were rounded up by police and were handed over to the forest department for interrogation.

During interrogation, the teenagers confessed that they had entered into an agreement with the 'dhaba' owners and sold the birds packed in gunny bags, the DFO said, adding that the boys used sling-shots, stones and other means to kill the cranes. As the boys were below 18 years of age, their prosecution would be as per the JuvenileJustice Act along with the Wildlife Act, if applicable to them, he said.

Link - http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...50-cranes.html
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my God!!!

This is outrageous. It's crazy to what extents people can go to get some money. The teenagers were probably looking at some extra pocket money. But to earn money this way!!! Shocking!!!
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is very sad.It is also important to know if these children knew what they were doing???

This is where culture plays its role. Mostly as childern we are taught not to harm animals by our parents and teachers as a part of the cultural value system rather than through the formal education process.But transgressing this is not viewed at as seriously as what is likely to happen to these children.It is important to undestand the family background of these children, they might have parents who regularly indulge in hunting or trapping -for money, meat or Fun. Im not trying to justify what they did but im sure they wouldnot have known that something called the Wild life Act exists or the difference in the no of years of Jail if they has slaughtered cattle egrets instead of white cranes.This thoothless law and its wielders which couldnt make any difference to the hundreds of professional poachers will now prove themselves on these VII std kids.

Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Shocking.

Our lawyers routinely prove adults as juveniles. So I am sure this was a well planned exercise as the traders knew that the kids being juvenile will escape.

This also brings to light the need for educating people. Today the common man is far removed from conservation. We have an onerous task of educating the people and instilling in them a sense of love, duty and responsibility. It looks a herculean task, but I feel it can be achieved.

With the Government moving in to enhance the punishment levels (especially in monetary terms - as per the draft amendment to Wildlife Act ), I am sure people will hesitate before committing a crime.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Most of us during our childhood days have used the catapult. We often ignore the impact of the catapult wielding kids who can kill any bird without second thoughts. When a kid is used to a catapult since his/her younger days, the thought of killing larger animals can easily come. From a Catapult to a gun is a natural upgradation.

I think we all should raise our voice to ban the catapult, so that our birds can be saved harassment and death.
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information