Thread: Elephant behaviour during Attack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ashvary,
    I have not faced this situation and don't know about it. Don't want to face this situation.

However, Raman Sukumar has mentioned in his book Elephants Days and Nights that one researcher was injured and could not move. So he was lying on the ground expecting to be trampled. However, the elephant threw leaves etc on him as if burying a dead person.

Are you sure you can pretend to be dead? Your heart would be beating so hard, the elephant would know from a distance.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Ashvary,
    I have not faced this situation and don't know about it. Don't want to face this situation.

However, Raman Sukumar has mentioned in his book Elephants Days and Nights that one researcher was injured and could not move. So he was lying on the ground expecting to be trampled. However, the elephant threw leaves etc on him as if burying a dead person.

Are you sure you can pretend to be dead? Your heart would be beating so hard, the elephant would know from a distance.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Just related it with elephants because I had heard many times that If U face any bear attacking on U, just lie down and stop breathing....
    He would consider U dead and will leave U...

Well I guess I Should lie upside down so that the heart beat dont go too loud...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While i was at Parambikulam last year on a trek, one of the tribals gave me some info, which i am not sure is authentic or a safe option, but he swore it worked.

1. While fleeing an elephant charge/attack on foot, strip your clothes and throw them away and keep running - the elephant usually shreds the clothes to pieces following the scent.

2. Always carry red chilli powder with you and if the elephant gets too close and as a last resort, throw it at it's eyes (if you are still alive until then :-))

As i said, for all you know, this could be tribal 'Mumbo Jumbo' (pun intended) but who knows, in the west, pepper sprays are known to stop huge grizzly attacks.

regards
    Rajan

Thread Information