ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Dhole against Sambar and Fawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Dhole against Sambar and Fawn

This Sambar mother and fawn were isolated at one side of the pool. As this dhole came running towards the mother and child, the mother started stamping her feet aggressively. She was shielding her fawn most of the time.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm F2.8 L IS USM, EF 1.4xII, ISO 800, f4, 1/250, full frame.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice behavioural photograph. The water splash is nicely captured. Liked the composition with the dhole patiently waiting on the bank. Sure rare to such witness such action. Look forward to more..
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! straight from the Animal Planet, this is of the best images of the series that you have posted as on date, i guess you have more to share
    I think this location is kavare katte, where I had similar action of dholes chasing & finally making the kill of spotted deer, this water body is common for sambars as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Praveen,
    The action was amazing. Unfortunately, the light was pretty low. If there would have been a kill, then the action would have been over soon. They would have taken half an hour to clean up a fawn kill. The counter attacks by the Sambars and the behaviour of the mother and fawn were worth watching. I am not sure, when I will get a chance to see such an action sequence again. And yes, it was Kavare katte water hole. Your record of dholes hunting the cheetal fawn is a very nice documentation of the behaviour. I guess within a month, our understanding of the behaviour of dholes have improved. :-)

You can see the head position of the mother and the fawn. The lowered head of the mother is an aggressive stance (you can compare with the previous two images where the Sambar was chasing the dholes). You can also check the head of the fawn. The raised tail is the sign of alarm, but it is not charging and hence the head position.

I wish I would have seen this in better light. I hope that these precious wilderness continue to remain and may these dholes and sambars continue to roam these forests.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice image. Show the behaviour distinctly. I might have preferred including a little less water.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow..... talk about catching the right moment to click... :-)
    love the splash... very nice pic....

Thread Information