ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Lesser Flamingo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lesser Flamingo

Lesser Flamingo from the LRK, Gujarat. There were masses of Flamingos foraging in the shallow mudflats. Out of enthusiasm I rolled up my trousers and stepped into the mudflats, eager to get a closer perspective. At every step, My portly frame began to sink into the mud. By the time I advanced 20 yards, I was knee deep into the mud, completely immobile , with Anu's dire threats emanating from the background ( I had his 500f4 and there was a high possibility of me toppling over into the mud.)
    The flamingos meanwhile began retreating deeper with my advance and I was no closer to them when I started off..!!!
    Ultimately when I settled down to take a few pictures, The bigger challenge was isolating an individual from among the thousands busy foraging.

EOS 50D+ 500f4+ 1.4xII @ f5.6, ISO 200 1/1000

Look forward to comments.

Cheers

Dipankar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting story Dipankar . The image is also very nice but it seems a bit on the brighter side. I had too tired hard to capture flamingoes last weekend but things didnt work out. I heard that flamingoes are nesting in Uran (60kms from Mumbai) so i went there and searched all over the place but could not find them. Finally i was told they are nesting in a lake inside the Jawaharlal Nehru port trust ( between JNPT and Airforce area). That area is guarded by Indian Secrecy Act, so i was not let in. I was told i can get in if i "knew" someone inside. I came back dejected .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good to know that you could get photographs without falling down or getting the equipment in the mud. It becomes quite tricky while following birds. Once while getting closer to a kingfisher crawling on a bund, I was about to fall in the water.
    Lovely pose. The raised leg adds to the composition. The wider aperture has helped to get a nice clean background. The colours are nice. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know you had sighted many flamingoes. Must have been quite an experience that!

cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dipankar,
    Keep a few bottles of beer handy - Not for Anu but to clean up the mud when the 500mm topples over. Atleast he will feel that you care for his 500mm.

In these situations, it is best to take a monopod which can be used as a support for balance.

I agree that it is tough to isolate a single flamingo. If you are ready to get dirty and wait, then there would be chances of better images.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice pose. The isolation is what makes this image unique. The image appears a bit soft on my monitor.
    TFS

Murugan: You can find flamingoes at Sewri docks in Mumbai, and I believe it should be easier to enter than JNPT. You may also find some stragglers at Elephanta Island, though they don't congregate there.

Thread Information