ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Swamp deer - Barasingha herd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Swamp deer - Barasingha herd

At Kishanpur sanctuary near the Dudhwa national park. These are classified as vulnerable in the IUCN list. Found only in the Terai region of northern UP, Assam and Sunderbans in India, they are under threat in the Terai due to oversilting of the grasslands after each year's flooding in these places. The flood water carries more silt these years as Nepal has cut down huge swathes of the Terai forest at their side of the border. This over silting degrades the quality of the grass, which is the Barasingha's main diet as well as provides shelter for their young.
    Shot with the Nikon D90, Nikkor 70-300mm, at 280mm, ISO 200, 1/500s - F/9
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another shot with them resting in their habitat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Lovely images.Nice composition.Such large herds and parties of flat-footed barasingha in velvet are treat to watch.In the first image inclusion of two black-necked storks in the foreground is fine.The habitat looks wonderful.
    The second image presents us diversity with inclusion of a large number of egrets feeding.
    I share your concern about Kishanpur which already forms a part of Dudhwa T.R. With recent notification of buffer zone status to Katerniaghat,south Kheri,social forestry division of Sahajahanpur and Amangarh near Corbett, a large part of Terai landscape, let us hope, would receive better protection.
    Thanks for your nice presentation and sharing.SaktiWild

P.S:In the Sundarbans,they are extinct possibly since 1930's
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 20-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both images are lovely. The first gives a nice feel of the habitat and gives an idea of how big a herd could be. Agree with Saktida that including the storks have given a nice environment feel.

The second image is more specific and is concentrating on a group. They look healthy and fit. From a tiger's eye its lip smacking . Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Saktida for the Sunderbans correction...the picture then for these last surviving herds is critical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to see barasingha. Billy had a big role in saving them.

Dunbar Brander had written that barasingha was found in parts of Bengal. he also says "the distance to which the barasingha extends into the neighbouring province of Bihar and Orissa is not known." I remember reading in old hunting literature that barasingha used to be found in orissa. Need to dig out those details.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to see barasingha. Billy had a big role in saving them.

Dunbar Brander had written that barasingha was found in parts of Bengal. he also says "the distance to which the barasingha extends into the neighbouring province of Bihar and Orissa is not known." I remember reading in old hunting literature that barasingha used to be found in orissa. Need to dig out those details.

Sabyasachi

Thread Information