Thread: Uppalapadu and its Migratory Birds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Uppalapadu and its Migratory Birds

Uppalapadu is a small village near Guntur (Andhra Pradesh) on Guntur - Tenali road. This place has become a home for migratory birds since 2000s. Kolleru Lake used to be a home for these birds but with prawn/shrimp culture around the lake they were driven away.

The facility at Uppalapadu is more man made than natural. The Forest Department of AP is administering the facility with the locals giving great support. It is estimated that at any given time there are about seven thousand birds ------------ storks, pelicans ----- that are breeding and waiting to fly back home once summer sets in.

The approach to the facility is a rough road about 500 meters from the main road. There is a 15-20 feet high sturdy watch tower that can comfortably accommodate three photographers with their paraphernalia of tripods etc. There was growth of bushes both at eye level and the watch tower that was impairing a clear 180 degree view. The Sun rises from behind the watch tower and the best time for photography would be the morning light.

Guntur is a district headquarters and is closer to Vijayawada. Vijayawada is connected by air.

There are good hotels in Guntur and it would be comfortable to stay in Guntur to leave for the early morning shoot.

Best time is November to February. For any further information please feel free to write in at anandm.cahyd@gmail.com or call on 09849033763.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sabyasachi Patra; 03-04-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Include a photo by Dr. Ajay Kumar Singh

Thread Information