ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Tusker in Dhikala chaur

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Tusker in Dhikala chaur

I am posting an image which was clicked in Corbett a long long time ago when I had just shifted to digital. EOS 10D.

In the early 2000s the elephant population in Corbett and Rajaji, especially those of tuskers had suddenly declined due to poaching. The core areas were not guarded as no one had expected that the poachers will get into the core and slaughter magnificent tuskers with large tusks. I remember seeing a solitary tusker in the dhikala chaur in 2004 and a lot many females and a few makhnas.

This was shot at 420mm using a Canon 300mm lens and a Sigma 1.4x TC, 1/90, f5.6, ISO 100.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Heavily built 'Ganesha' with one tusk remaining. May be a resident male in Dhikhala Chaur ! In 1988 I too found a Ganesha in the same chaur. May be tuskers losing one tusk in fight prefer the vast chaur a livable place in the Himalaya foothills. Morphological characters of Indian elephant are nicely documented. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one solid tusker !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see this tusker grazing peacefully. Liked the environmental composition. You have captured the action well even in the low shutter speed. ISO 100, is it due to Canon 10D? Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Large specimen. Would have liked more space all around around this one give more sense of its size.Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shyamala Kumar View Post
    Large specimen. Would have liked more space all around around this one give more sense of its size.Thanks for sharing.
    I had created one image without the teleconverter ie shooting at 300mm. However, the images got lost in the older hard disk. I can't find those.

I had used ISO 100, as I was shooting with EOS 10D which is like the first generation camera. And prior to that I used to shoot in slides with ISO 100 or ISO 50 slide films. Those were the days.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information