User Tag List

Thread: I dunno the name of bird

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I dunno the name of bird

Dear Friends,

I sighted this bird on tree next to my bedroom window. I sight this during winters here. I don't know the name of this. Please help me with it's name.
    Please let me have your reviews.

Thanks
    Sadanand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an Asian Koel (Female).

More about this bird from Wikipedia:
    The Asian Koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus) is a member of the cuckoo order of birds, the Cuculiformes. It is found in South Asia, China, and Southeast Asia. It forms a superspecies with the closely related Black-billed and Pacific Koels which are sometimes treated as subspecies. The Asian Koel is a brood parasite that lays its eggs in the nests of crows and other hosts, where the young are raised by the foster parents. They are unusual among the cuckoos in being largely frugivorous as adults.
    The word koel is echoic in origin and the bird is a widely used symbol in Indian poetry. It has been compared with the "nightingale" due to its melodious call.
    The Asian Koel is a large, long-tailed, cuckoo at 45 cm. The male of the nominate race is glossy bluish-black, with a pale green or grey bill, the iris is crimson, and it has grey legs and feet. The female of the nominate race is brownish on the crown and has rufous streaks on the head. The back, rump and wing coverts are dark brown with white and buff spots. The underparts are whitish, but is heavily striped. The other subspecies differ in colouration and size.
    They are very vocal during the breeding season (March to August in South Asia), with a range of different calls. The familiar song of the male is a repeated koo-Ooo. The female makes a shrill kik-kik-kik... call. Calls vary between the races.

They show a pattern of moult that differs from those of other parasitic cuckoos. The outer primaries show a transilient (alternating) ascending moult (P9-7-5-10-8-6) while the inner primaries are moulted in stepwise descending order (1-2-3-4).

More can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Koel
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice image. Its good that you got it in the open and you could include the whole tail. A slight head turn towards you would have been good. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice bedroom view. I agree with the previous comments. The word koel is a household word, however not many people are familiar with this. I remember calling like a koel during my child hood days to tease a koel perched in a nearby tree. You got the bird without vegetation blocking it. If you can tell us about the camera and lens used, shutter speed, aperture and ISO information, so that we can comment better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,sadanand,
    it is very nice.keep up the good photography.

Thread Information