ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Snake Rituals/BRT#1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Snake Rituals/BRT#1

Starting this series of Snake Rituals, that I recently shot in Gorukana Resort at BR Hills. We had just checked in and reached our cottage & were about to put down our bags. Suddenly I got call from Jade Swamy the Naturalist, he mentioned that near their exit gate two snakes are mating, he asked me to come quickly with my camera. Fortunately I had connected my camera to the 500mm so just carried my bag-pack and we literally ran.
    The time was just 5pm, the rat snakes were almost on the mud road and to my bad luck the I had to shoot against the light. But these are rare and natural history moments so any conditions for shooting are welcome. At first I tried handheld and messed up, then immediately I put the bag-pack on the ground and felt flat on ground and used the bag as the support for lens. It was difficult to focus on the snakes are they swift and quick in performing their rituals.

Snakes rituals are often mistaken by most of us for snake mating. This snake ritual is nothing but a combat dance performed by males of the species. Though a friendly ritual with no over display of aggression, it is driven by instinct and used to define territory and defend mates. Its frequent and customary expression during the breeding season is proof of this encoded behavior.

The ritual was fascinating to watch and this went on for good 30 mins, until few soliga forest tribal had to pass by the same route and the snakes got disturbed and moved into the bushes.

The people of Karnataka call the rat snakes as Kere Havu, while in Marathi it is Dhaman, Kerala it is Chera, and Cherai in Tamil.

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D, 500mm
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/640
    Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
    ISO 400
    Focal length 500mm
    EC - 0.7
    Small crop
    Bag-pack Support
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely Image. I somewhat like the feel of the image due to the underexposure. Gives a nice mood to the image. Sometimes taking the unconventional route does give us some really differently beautiful results. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely pose captured. The eye contact is nice. The low angle makes this image more interesting. A bit more space on the right would be good. Please mention if you have done any selective blurring of the background? Would like to see more in the series. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bibhav and Mrudul for the comments. Mrudul I haven't done any blurring in the bg, it is natural, infact don't know how to do it unless you teach me..
    I have plenty of the Snake Rituals shots, will share them one by one. Also after few shots I changed my position as I was shooting against light, with new position images look completely different. We can discuss this when i post them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice shot Praveen. I like the composition a lot. I don't mind the underexposure. Thanks for sharing the info as well. It is interesting to see how animals always stick to the rules during such contests, something we humans hardly ever achieve .
    Tts. Look forward to the others in the series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting info. Without the -2/3 underexposure, it would have been great. Do you have a vertical? Do you have anything with a narrow aperture?

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for comments.

Sabyasachi I have images with narrow aperture will share them soon. Unfortunately I didn't try vertical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Praveen sir. I don't mind the negative EV either...but a narrower aperture would be better. However, the BG on this one looks good, thanks to the wide aperture (partially also thanks to the super tele prime).

tfs..look forward to more in the series
    Bhargava

Thread Information