Shri Sabyasaschi and some of my Member-Friends of the Forum may be aware that once Blackbucks roamed freely in the Kanha Meadow.When we visited Kanha TR for the first time towards the March End,1975 and stayed in FRH near the Meadow (now Central Point where Tourists are asked to report at 9 A.M for News about sighting of Tigers and proceeding for TIGER SHOW), we used to hire an Elephant in the afternoon and move freely in the meadow and the forest.
We used to see Blackbucks roaming freely,the Male ,many a time moving alone and Females used to walk forming a line one after another just like a drill.I took photographs (B&W) of both a Solitary Male and a group of Females in a Parade.
During my next visit to Kanha TR in May 2005 I could not see any Blackbuck. On my query, the forest dept officials told me that due to invasion(/planting! )of a new variety of grass which grows fast,the grass which Blackbucks used to graze upon is no longer there and thus Blackbuck became Extinct in Kanha.
The Fox,Jackle and Wild Dog were only Predators of Fawns of Blackbucks that time.
Then exactly what happened ?