Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RTI activist Shehla Masood shot dead in MP

RTI activist Shehla Masood shot dead in MP
    Press Trust Of India
    Updated Aug 16, 2011 at 07:39pm IST

Bhopal: A city-based woman RTI activist was on Tuesday shot dead allegedly by an unidentified man in front of her residence in the posh Koh-e-Fiza locality, police said.

"Shehla Masood was shot dead around 11 AM when she was sitting in her car," Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Adarsh Katiyar said. The motive and details of the killing are awaited, he said, adding a hunt has been launched to nab the assailant.
    Shehla, who sat on a fast here recently in support of Anna Hazare's 'India Against Corruption' campaign had also been working on a number of other projects, including wildlife conservation. She was actively involved in raising issues related to the deaths of tigers in the various sanctuaries of Madhya Pradesh.

Known to be a hard worker, Shehla also ran a company called 'Miracles' which used to do various things, including event management.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Absolutely shocking news! I am stunned!

She used to raise lot of conservation related issues, including the case where Jhurjhura tigress of bandhavgarh was mowed down by a jeep in the night. The case appeared to make no headway, given that some heavyweight was allegedly involved. Unlike journalists who move from one breaking news to other, she didn't forget past issues and continue to raise those. After several months of the death of Jhurjhura tigress she had raised her voice here: A morning with Jhurjhura Tigress in Bandhavgarh | Diary - Tales from India's Wilds

She had also raised the issues related to the sad state of wildlife affairs in MP. She had raised her voice about Dr. Pabla regarding the vanishing of tigers from Panna: Who is responsible for the vanishing of Panna Genes from the face of the earth? - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

She had also raised her voice about the manner in which Gaur translocation was done from Kanha to Bandhavgarh favouring one company for filming. For details please check here: Gaur translocation a feat or vested interest? - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

May God bless her departed soul.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very tragic and shocking. I did interact with her few times , she was working on the jhurjura issue then.
    I feel for her family.
    May her soul rest in peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Horiffic crime and I was stunned when I read The Statesman today Morning.The Authorities must Act fast to to bring the culprit(s) to Books.
    I deeply mourn for this Fearless Young Woman.
    May her soul Rest in Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more news regarding the activities she did, and the way she fought against all the illegal activities...

Was Shehla shot for fighting illegal diamond mines?

NAGPUR: "The purpose of civil resistance is provocation. Anna has succeeded in provoking the government and the opposition. Hope he wins us freedom from corruption. Meet at 2 pm at Boat Club, Bhopal."

This was Shehla Masood's message on Tuesday, minutes before she was shot dead. Shehla, a Madhya Pradesh-based civil and environmental rights' activist was shot dead by an unidentified person in front of her residence in Koh-e-Fiza locality in Bhopal around 11 am on August 16.

The brutal murder of Shehla exposes the fate of those protesting illegal mining and fighting to save tigers and forests. "The government did nothing after RTI activist Amit Jethawa's murder in Gujarat and hence we lost Shehla now," remarked Kishor Rithe, president of Satpuda Foundation.

A day before, Shehla said, "I'm proud to be an Indian. Happy Independence Day." The next day she was shot dead. Wildlife activists and environmentalists are aghast at the irony that tigers, tribals, trees and civil and environmental rights activists are being hunted and killed.

They fear that the possible connection between Shehla's murder and her raising the issue of illegal diamond mining project in Chhattarpur in Madhya Pradesh by Rio Tinto, a transnational mining company headquartered in the United Kingdom.

Shehla fought to save tigers and forests. In September 2010, her NGO Udai had launched a massive signature campaign in MP against killing of the Jurjuria tigress in Bandhavgarh reserve on May 18, 2010. She demanded the arrest of the culprits, who were influential persons. She was also keen to save the watershed of the Panna tiger reserve and the Shyamri, one of the cleanest rivers in the country from Rio Tinto's mining activity.

"The timing of her elimination when she was on her way to support Anna Hazare's fast was meant to overshadow the issue of illegal diamond mining project in Chhattarpur by Rio Tinto and the political mafia," a section of activists feared.

The diamond mining block is inside a forest which is the northernmost tip of the best corridor of teak forests south of the Gangetic plain. It is an established law that mining is non-forestry activity. There is an immediate need for a probe to determine who allowed mining to take place in such an ecologically fragile area.

The Bunder mine project, near Chhatarpur, is likely to be one of the largest diamond reserves in the world. It is estimated that there is a 'inferred resource' of 27.4 million carats, a diamonds resource seven times richer than the Panna mine, the country's only working diamond mine.

On March 22, 2011, the need to review the diamond mining project in Chhattarpur which is posing serious threat to environment in the region was raised in the Lok Sabha.

Two district collectors were transferred to facilitate the ongoing illegal mining. The fact that the new collector has allowed mining came to light when a PIL was filed stating that Rio Tinto has been exploiting mineral resources in Chattarpur by violating provisions.

Shehla was fighting against mining activity. On January 19, 2010, she had filed a complaint with the DGP of MP, accusing IPS officer Pawan Shrivastava of making threatening calls to her. Shrivastava was harassing her for the past two years, Shehla stated in her letter. She also feared threat to her life from Shrivastava but the police did not act.

"We salute the struggle and martyrdom of Shehla who defended our forests, rivers, land and wildlife in the face of the unscrupulous corporate assault in nexus with the ruling political regimes," the activists stressed.

Shehla used to conclude her messages with a proud "Roarrrrr" that can't be silenced by the bullets of her assailants. Her murder exposes how government power is used to kill whistle blowers and RTI activists.

"We strongly condemn this murder of our fellow activist. It seems that we are not safe," said Rithe.

Source article can be found here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/9626668.cms
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Thread Information