67 animals died at WB zoo in eight months
Kolkata, May 22, 2012, (PTI):

Even as the West Bengal government hired and fired nine directors in the last eight months to ensure better management, the Alipore zoo here recorded 67 animal deaths during the same period.

Sources said 67 animals including tigers, lions, chimpanzees, marmosets, kangaroos, birds and snakes, died here between August 2011 and March 2012.

The zoo had recorded 57 animal deaths in 2009-10 and 52 to 53 deaths in 2010-11.
Among the animals that died are three of the six red kangaroos brought from Czech Republic in June 2011. Two new-born marmosets died in November 2011.

“The maximum number of casualties is among birds and reptiles. A total of 30 birds and 20 snakes have died over the past eight months,” a senior zoo official said.

According to former zoo inspector Swapan Ghosh, animal deaths in zoos are triggered by three factors-population of old and sick animals, lack of proper veterinary care and unforeseen incidents such as a disease outbreak.

“But 67 deaths in eight months, or one death in every 4 to 5 days, is highly unusual,” Ghosh, said.

However, state Forest minister Hiten Burman claimed to be ignorant of the deaths.
“Is it true that 67 animals have died in eight months? I’m not aware of that. I’ll have to inquire. I’ll ask for a report from the zoo authorities,” Burman told Deccan Herald.

“In fact, neither the Zoo authorities nor the government has an idea of running the park. As the animals in the zoo are taken out of their natural habitat and placed in an artificial environment they always need special care. Their condition is not only delicate but fragile too and the zoo authorities need to take care of that but unfortunately enough these factors are never taken under consideration,” a former director of the Alipore Zoo told Deccan Herald.