ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Angel in Paradise/BR Hills

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Angel in Paradise/BR Hills

Photographed this Asian Paradise Flycatcher at Jungle Lodges and Resorts - Kgudi (BR hills), I was relaxing at the Log-hut and suddenly saw this little "Angel" come very close to our log-hut, it then perched on a branch of a tree right in front of us and gave some excellent opportunities to make several images.

The highlight of the trip was spotting the tigress with 4 cubs aged approx 9-10 months (2 males and 2 females), we were blessed to see the entire family feeding on a Sambar (stag) kill.

Info on Asian Paradise flycatcher -

The Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi) is a medium-sized passerine bird native to Asia. Males have elongated central tail feathers, and in some populations a black and rufous plumage while others has white plumage. Females are short-tailed with rufous wings and a black head. They feed on insects, which they capture in the air often below a densely canopied tree.

Adult Asian Paradise Flycatchers are 19–22 cm (7.5–8.7 in) long. Their heads are glossy black with a black crown and crest, their black bill round and sturdy, their eyes black. Female are rufous on the back with a greyish throat and under parts. Their wings are 86–92 mm (3.4–3.6 in) long. Young males look very much like females but have a black throat and blue-ringed eyes. As adults they develop up to 24 cm (9.4 in) long tail feathers with two central tail feathers growing up to 30 cm (12 in) long drooping streamers.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens
    EXIF - ISO 400 Av 4 Tv 1/400 sec, subject dist -11M, Almost full frame
    Shot in Dec'12
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice work praveen.... like the way the streamers are floating in the wind... this probably is the best situation to compose horizontally for this bird other wise mostly one has to go vertical. Is the focus on the body?

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the AF has struck the front twig but still it is very sharp and gr8 work. I don’t have experience in actual wildlife shooting but I am very much inspired to learn something in this filed by seeing the fantastic photographs in this forum and great work of all the members. Thanks for putting up such nice photographs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely sighting. The horizontal composition looks nice. Agree with Roopak, seems the AF point is on the body, as the eye doesn't seem to be in critical focus. Maybe the DoF doesnt' cover it as the head is slightly turned away. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Thread Information