contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: INITIATIVE TO SAVE TIGERS: Govt.seeks proposals for FIVE MORE TIGER RESERVES

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

RAJAJI TIGER RESERVE (48 th.)

On 20 April 2015, Rajaji National Park was notified as 48 th.Tiger Reserve of our country. The total area is 1075 sq.km inclusive of 255 sq.km of buffer area, as per latest information received. It is reported that there are about 11 Tigers in the Core area ( I may not comment upon the figures in the Buffer zone as the boundary has been increased/redrawn from the earlier 820 sq.km of National Park).

Good News.

Introduction of a few young Tiger and Tigress in the western part of the tiger reserve which has been cut off [near Hardwar/Rishikesh ] and thus deprived from the benefit of spill over from Corbett T.R. and Ramnagar R.F; would be an interesting challenge for Government and Naturalists. I am sure, it would be successful.
    -SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 14-07-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

RAJIV GANDHI ORANG TIGER RESERVE

Latest and 49th.Tiger Reserve of India

Rajiv Gandhi ORANG National Park has formally been declared as a Tiger Reserve with State (Assam Govt.) Notification on Feb 24, 2016. NTCA gave its nod in 2015 and State Board accorded its approval earlier in 2014.

AREA:
    Critical Tiger habitat: 79.28 sq.km
    Buffer/Peripherial habitat: 413.18 sq.km
    Total Area :492.46 sq. km

Orang is rich in bio-diversity and is often called 'Mini-Kaziranga'. Kaziranga-Orang landscape will now have 1100 sq.km of protected area mainly comprising of reverine landscape from the east of Kaziranga to the west of Orang. Now it will form the single largest protected area with Tigers in Assam, ahead of Manas Tiger Reserve.

According to 2013 census based on camera trap method, Orang had 24 Tigers including 4 cubs. It has a healthy population of Rhinos, Elephants, Wild Buffalos, Hog deer, Pigmy Hog and Gangetic Dolphin.

Apart from Sundarbans, Orang is the other Tiger Reserve where one may come across tigers swimming from one island to the other, spread across the mighty Brahmaputra river.

SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 10-03-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Thread Information