ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Id help? A moth or something else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Id help? A moth or something else

Spotted this amazing beauty at my home yesterday night. It was not more than 10mm in length and at some distance resembled a stripy mosquito, except for the colour. Took few more shots, this one was from the back, a photostack, shall share the other angles too if required. I felt it was a moth but when I shared it in a group with ppl who have some knowledge of insects the replies ranged from a mantis, cranefly, some random fly, etc. I want to know what exactly is it, hence seeking expert's opinion.

EXIF:
    Canon EOS 550D
    Canon 18-55IS
    F/0 (reverse lens)
    Shutterspeed 1/200
    ISO 100
    Hand held, in built flash used
    Three images stacked(could get more images as it flew off)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This seems to be a member of the plume moth family Pterophoridae. You might want to try going further from there.
    It is easy to identify at least the order to which an insect belongs by using very simple key ID features. If you don't know them well, you can use an ID key like this free one I had posted long back- http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/sho...y-for-Android). As far as possible, any insect identification would be done best by you, the observer (rather than by anyone you consult), as you need to look for certain tiny features in the specimen, unlike in bird or mammal ID where posting a couple of images to a forum may suffice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Hey Thanks for the essential ID and the update, unfortunately am a Windows phone user, hope to get a Windows version soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I have been getting few visitors at my home for the past 4 month, most of them being a variety of moths. About a week back I had made a compilation of all of the visitors along with few other insects and uploaded a video on youtube. This link would redirect to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=LGBJ7k1OOYA&list=UUILONZRgYxhO6SUfHBqk3g
    Its a very crude attempt at documenting all/ most of the insects. Hope to keep on getting more and more of them.

Thread Information