contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Is it time India had a project leopard?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An update

The second leopard has been sighted at a village called Kendupatna, a few kilometres upstream of Gandarpur where the male was killed. This second leopard appears to be a small-ish female. It was seen following a herd of goats today morning and then the typical commotion followed and the leopard has gone into hiding. I advised the DFO, Bhubaneswar, to set up traps around the area as, sadly, this appears to be the only option at hand now. The other being to allow the leopard to wander into habitation again in its desperate search for prey and be beaten up. The DFO promptly informed his immediate senior and equally promptly declared that setting up the traps wasn't his duty, as he headed a territorial division! Technically speaking, he is correct.

When I left the scene at 6pm, the Wildlife Wing staff were yet to arrive. It doesn't look like the traps are going to come before tomorrow. Hope that tonight passes safely for the leopard. The animal is heading in the general direction of Chandaka, but it has to cross ten or more kilometres of habitation, roads and railway lines before it can get there. It hasn't fed in the past few days. One prays that in its desperation to hunt tonight, it doesn't land up in more trouble than it already is in.

Meanwhile, cases have been registered against six of the people who killed the other leopard.

Regards,
    Aditya
    Last edited by Aditya Panda; 15-01-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Thread Information