Sir,

I think I have missed driving home my point. Firstly I would like to differentiate between scientific observation and personal observation. In applying scientific observation techniques on the field one has to have an acceptable level of subject knowledge which happens more through an academic process. Not every nature enthusiast can start doing that as neither the law of the land nor logic will allow that, particularly when the Field happens to be nature reserves and the subjects are protected species. With scientific observation the natural presumption is that it will contribute to its purpose be it understanding animal behavior or conservation etc (Whether that is true is an altogether different topic).

On the other hand what I call personal observation is something which any one can do , almost anywhere and probably graduates to the level of natural history with time and experience. No different from how your driver could anticipate the deers behavior . The question I raised here is if such personal observation does not serve a purpose is it any different from the intents of a wildlife photographer who just wants to take pictures without bothering about field ethics ??? I think it is .

By its very nature observations tends to contribute a lot more in terms of both Personal joy and also in creating holistic awareness on the need to preserve our natural wealth. And I feel even when benchmarked with ethical wildlife photography it still has certain pros which I tried to list out.

Regards
Roopak