Thread: Supreme Court greenlights second home for Lions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Supreme Court greenlights second home for Lions

The Hon'ble Supreme Court of India finally has brought the long standing demand of conservationists to fruition by ordering that Gujarat Government give a few lions to set up a second home for lions in the Kuno wildlife Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh. We had taken up this issue in the IndiaWilds Newsletter Vol. 2 Issue II (FEB 2010). http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/indi...ol-2-issue-ii/

The Gujarat Government had linked the lions with their pride, though several decades back they had given lions for relocation.

During the arguments before the Supreme Court there were many efforts not to give the lions and it was alleged that Madhya Pradesh doesn't have a good track record of poaching and hence lions should not be given. It was also stated that Kuno has been shortlisted for the introduction of alien African Cheetahs. The Hon'ble Supreme Court thankfully put an end to project as introduction of non-native species is against the grain of conservation. We have had detailed discussions against introduction of African Cheetah in India and it can be found here: http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888

The Hon'ble Supreme Court felt that lions can indeed be wiped out by a catastrophe and has ordered that an expert committee will decide the number of lions to be relocated to Kuno. This process is to be completed within a period of six months.

We welcome this direction of the Hon'ble Supreme Court.

Photo by Shri Anand Madabhushi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information