Sharks are the apex predators in our oceans. The population of the apex predator is always lesser than the next line of predators and much lesser than the small fishes. When you cut off the fins, the sharks sink to the bottom of the sea and die.

If we remove the apex predator, you create severe imbalances in the ecosystem. It is unfortunate that we are not bothered about preserving our marine ecosystem. Only when the fisherfolk raise their voice, we start noticing. However the fishermen are like hunters who notice their prey has gone. By the time the fishermen notice, it is often too late to save the species. And hunters are not often the right people to notice because their focus would be on some other species. For example, earlier hunters were focused on tiger hunting and the cheetah became extinct from India. So the Government has to take a active role in preservation of our marine ecosystem.

I have seen shark fin soup served during my trips abroad. Personally I have stopped serving of shark fin soup to our team. I am sure more people can do that provided awareness is raised.

In India, we can definitely prevent it under the Prevention of cruelty to animals act and the WPA. Our members and readers can raise their voice by writing to the Hon'ble Minister for Environment and Forests Smt. Jayanthi Natarajan.

Smt. Jayanthi Natarajan

Hon’ble Minister of State (Independent Charge)

Ministry of Environment and Forests

Paryavaran Bhawan, CGO Complex,

Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110003

Email: mosefgoi@nic.in

Tel: +91-11-24361727

Fax: +91-11-24362222