Beautiful sighting, once upon a time cobras sighting was very common.
I was brought up in Kanpur, our house was situated next to a small village known as tewaripur, adjoining that was farmland and beyond the farmland was forest (between the south bank of ganges and the farmland). I recollect every year one or two person from that village used to die of cobra bite, it was common then childrens were picked up by hyena and leopards every year. There was a strict rule not to venture out after sunset beyond the setllements.
My school was about three km from our house and I used to walk down every morning and afternoon with my classmates through the colony to and from school. It was a missionary school and the principal was italian mother, school was situated on about 70 acres and after rainy season when the school used to reopen the field used to be wild with squirreltail, foxtail and hairy crab grass. On the edge of the boundry wall outsize grass used to grow because of very little disturbance and interference from us, in these grass once used to reside innumerous cobra, in fact that year the snake had bred that season. I still remember we were playing during the lunch time and suddenly one of my classmate shouted snake, we all were shell shocked to see the huge 14 to 15 feet long king cobra with the hood raised and slowly raising it further to match the height of the classmate, all of us ran from the spot and informed the teacher, sister and mother (principal) arrived at the spot, the cobra was still lurking there and then came the gardeners with sticks and killed that snake. Later it was found there were hundreds of baby cobras nearby, we were not told what happened after that, but presuming all of them were killed and the area was cleared. This happened either in late 70's or early 80's. Unaware or for survival, in last 30 years, we have destroyed our natural treasure.