User Tag List

Thread: thoughts of an ex poacher

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In India we are 1.2 billion plus population. And our rate of procreation and urge to engage in such activities is second to none. Does any one know what is the carrying capacity of our land? We are consuming far greater resources than is available. We all talk about carrying capacity of a forest and demand "culling" of herbivores. I fear, the day is not far, when our position would be akin to those elephants being culled in Africa.

I have seen perennial streams drying up. If the last remaining tracts of forests are not left unmolested, then we are courting disaster. In Hindu Mythology, we had this demon Bhasmasura. He was granted a boon by Shiva that when Bhasmasura places his hand on someones head, the person will turn into ashes.

To test that boon, Bhasmasura started chasing Shiva, until a doubt was created in his mind that the boon doesn't work. He was tricked into testing it on himself. Bhasmasura promptly placed his hand on his head and was turned into ashes.

Today, man is behaving like Bhasmasura. We are hell bent on placing that hand on our head and turning ourselves into ashes. I hope we understand our follies and preserve the last of the wilderness left in this country.

In the days of british raj, people used to fear killing a tiger or elephant as that would invite the wrath of the Raj. Today the scenario is different. People know they can poach and still manage to escape. Create an example out of a few and then it will be easier to protect our forests.

Strict enforcement of laws, moving people out of the forest areas and helping them with alternate livelihoods independent of forest produce would be of help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the good old population explosion logic. Classic demand supply curve. I remember an interesting graph in my std 9 biology book. In the animal world (excluding some pests), the population curve always stabilizes at a point. Unfortunately this is not the case with us humans!

We are intelligent. We can innovate to survive.

But, now that we have ranted and taken course to mythology to buttress our argument...on a lighter note, I have suggestion

Let conservationists and wildlife enthusiasts practice celibacy and check population! I am sure they can at least do that to save the tiger!!!
    Last edited by Ranbir Mahapatra; 15-03-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Thread Information