ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Peacock in Danger/Kabini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peacock in Danger/Kabini

This is our very own KV high voltage power-line that cuts through the Nagarahole forest (Kabini). We spotted this peacock perched on the power transmission tower (220000 Volts), unaware how dangerous & life threatening it can be. However we have been seeing this for ages and even our animals and birds have now gotten used to this and that is one reason most of the key sighting of animals happen on this KV power line. During this trip I also photographed a lone elephant that was seen grazing beside this power transmission tower; shortly I will share that image as well.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens
    EXIF - ISO 400 Av 8 Tv !/320 sec EC -0.3, Small crop — at Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Nagarahole, Kabini
    Image captured in May 2013
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice one Praveen and an important message. As you mentioned I don’t think any animal has even a faint idea of what it is dealing with. as far as sightings go I guess a linear expanse of forest clearing in a prime habitat is bound to present better sightings than most other areas simply because of the extent of unhindered human vision. Ive heard a lot of people say that most of their sightings happen on the main roads which cut across our forests.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some animals and birds can know about live wires due to the high frequencies emitted. Birds often perch on one of the wires. The moment their body comes in contact with both, they get electrocuted. May be this image symbolically tells us that that the peacock, once numerous, is now in danger in many places in this country. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the above comments. The image gives an important message that human presence is everywhere and due to which the animals and birds are in danger. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Thread Information