Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Default Jungle Lore:Jim Corbett

Shri Sabyasachi,
    I returned yesterday night and searched for and found possibly what you are intending to read again :
    Kind regards,SaktiWild

"...........I have used the word 'absorbed' in preference to 'learnt', for jungle lore is not a science that can be learnt from text books; it can, however, be absorbed,a little at a time,and the absorption process can go indefinitely,for the book of nature has no beginning,as it has no end.Open the book where you will,at any period of life,and if you have the desire to acquire the knowledge you will find it of intense interest,and no matter how long or how intensely you study the pages your interest will not flag,for in nature there is no finality. ............

On the path at your feet is the track of a snake that passed that way an hour before sunrise.The snake was going from the right-hand side of the path to the left,was three inches in girth and you can reasonably certain that it was poisonous variety.Tomorrow the track on the same path,or on another,may show that the snake that crossed it five minutes earlier was travelling from left to right,that it was five inches girth,and that was non-poisonous.

And so the knowledge you absorb today will be added to the knowledge you will absorb tomorrow,and on your capacity for absorption,and not on any fixed standard,will depend the amount of knowledge you ultimately accumulate.And at the end of the accumulating period-one year or fifty-you will find that you are only at the beginning,and that the whole field of nature lies before you waiting to be explored and to be absorbed. ....."-Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett's India
    Selected stories by R.E.Hawkins
    Oxford University Press
    Jungle Lore(1953)
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 09-01-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Addition of one word:Line before last to be read as:
    'whole field of nature' in place of 'whole of nature'-
    Moderator is requested to kindly add 'field' after 'whole'.
    SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    Shri Sabyasachi,
    I returned yesterday night and searched for and found possibly what you are intending to read again :
    Kind regards,SaktiWild

"...........I have used the word 'absorbed' in preference to 'learnt', for jungle lore is not a science that can be learnt from text books; it can, however, be absorbed,a little at a time,and the absorption process can go indefinitely,for the book of nature has no beginning,as it has no end.Open the book where you will,at any period of life,and if you have the desire to acquire the knowledge you will find it of intense interest,and no matter how long or how intensely you study the pages your interest will not flag,for in nature there is no finality. ............

On the path at your feet is the track of a snake that passed that way an hour before sunrise.The snake was going from the right-hand side of the path to the left,was three inches in girth and you can reasonably certain that it was poisonous variety.Tomorrow the track on the same path,or on another,may show that the snake that crossed it five minutes earlier was travelling from left to right,that it was five inches girth,and that was non-poisonous.

And so the knowledge you absorb today will be added to the knowledge you will absorb tomorrow,and on your capacity for absorption,and not on any fixed standard,will depend the amount of knowledge you ultimately accumulate.And at the end of the accumulating period-one year or fifty-you will find that you are only at the beginning,and that the whole field of nature lies before you waiting to be explored and to be absorbed. ....."-Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett's India
    Selected stories by R.E.Hawkins
    Oxford University Press
    Jungle Lore(1953)
    I am quoting this again so that we realise the humility of the individual. Jim Corbett was famous, he could have bragged about his exploits. He was even an instructor on jungle warfare. No body would have noticed if he would have used the words learn't instead of absorbed. In Sanskrit there is a saying "Namranti phalino brukshyaha" means trees laden with fruits bend down indicating that wise men are always humble.

Thanks a lot for sharing the quote of Jim Corbett.

Thread Information