Divyaraj,
Even today animals and birds are kept in very small cages. The thing is we don't realise that the exotic pets trade is leading to depletion of animals from their original habitat and in many cases pushes the species on the verge of extinction. Our interest in having pets is giving rise to a huge problem. So it is better to stop it.

It is difficult to find out if a pet has been illegally smuggled or bred in this country. So as long as we allow exotic pets, illegal smuggling will continue.

The reason I have advocated handing over these exotic species to the zoos - although zoos have outlived their utilities - because that is one step from taking away all these species away from private ownership and stopping of their breeding and trade. Once these species are in the zoos, the ones which are really globally vulnerable can be monitored, their purity of species ascertained and kept separately for future action.

As a child I used to be very happy banging the cage which held a couple of parakeets. The poor things were terrified. My cousin used to treat them well. However, no amount of love is worth sacrificing your freedom.

I am all for freedom of species in their native habitat.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi